October 7 - Psalm 18

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

October 7 - Psalm 18:1-50

Do you know that this Psalm is found elsewhere in the Bible? Turn to 2 Samuel 22:1-51.

David has been through battles and fought Saul, and then ran into the Philistines again. Saul died and was buried (2 Samuel 21:14), David's best friend Jonathan had also been killed, and when all this was over, the Philistines showed up over and over until David's men finally dealt with them. When it was all over, David could think of no greater way to thank God for deliverance than to sing these words in praise.

There are many metaphors found throughout this Psalm and I wonder which of them might fit a situation you have recently faced when God stood beside you. Some of them are gorgeous, such as "He parted the heavens and came down; dark clouds were under his feet. He mounted the cherubim and flew; he soared on the wings of the wind." (Psalm 18:9-10)

Others show the fury of the Lord, "The earth trembled and quaked, and the foundations of the mountains shook; they trembled because he was angry. Smoke rose from his nostrils; consuming fire came from his mouth, burning coals blazed out of it." (Psalm 18:7-8)

There are words that show David's complete reliance on the Lord, "He reached down from on high and took hold of me; he drew me out of deep waters. He rescued me from my powerful enemy, from my foes, who were too strong for me." (Psalm 18:16-17)

How do you praise the Lord?

"The Lord lives! Praise be to my Rock! Exalted be God my Savior!" (Psalm 18:46)

The Lord lives! Praise be to my Rock! Exalted be God my Savior!

The Lord lives! Praise be to my Rock! Exalted be God my Savior!

0 comments: