October 3 - Psalm 9

Saturday, October 3, 2009

October 3 - Psalm 9:1-20

One of the things that strikes me about this Psalm is the number of times that the nations of the world are mentioned. Psalm 9:5, 8, 15, 17, 19-20. David's line was expected to draw the nations to God. While this doesn't actually occur until the last days, this Psalm then becomes a beautiful song of prophecy.

In the NIV, Psalm 9:1 says "I will tell of all your wonders." The word 'wonders' comes from a Hebrew word which means 'things extraordinary or surpassing.' This word is used quite a bit in the Psalms to describe the works of God. Things extraordinary or surpassing. That's just beautiful.

Those first two verses (Psalm 9:1-2), "I will praise you, O Lord, with all my heart; I will tell of all your wonders. I will be glad and rejoice in you; I will sing praise to your name, O Most High." are a prescription for praise. I love to sing, I will gladly sing with all my heart. I have confidence in my voice and know that generally I am on pitch.

I have a friend who is constantly concerned about his lack of pitch. He has been told over and over that he can't sing, so he doesn't sing very loudly and whenever he sits behind me in church apologizes for the fact that he is singing at all. That breaks my heart! It certainly doesn't offend me. I would rather that he sing with joy because his heart is filled with praise. I don't know that God ever rejected someone's songs of praise because they weren't on pitch and I certainly won't either.

When I am glad, I do rejoice in the glory of God. But, you know ... sometimes I find that I forget to tell of God's wonders. I get so wrapped up in the craziness of my life that I might take a moment to thank Him, but I don't tell the world about Him as often as I should.

In Psalm 9:11, David says, "Sing praises to the Lord enthroned in Zion; proclaim among the nations what he has done."

Psalm 9:14, "...that I may declare your praises in the gates of the Daughter of Zion and there rejoice in your salvation."

We have a God that upholds our cause (Psalm 9:3), destroys the wicked (Psalm 9:5), judges the world in righteousness and governs the peoples with justice (Psalm 9:8), is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble (Psalm 9:9), does not ignore the cry of the afflicted (Psalm 9:12), is known by his justice (Psalm 9:16).

This is our God and we are called to praise Him, to proclaim among the nations what he has done and to declare his praises in the gates of the Daughter of Zion.

Today ... Praise the Lord!

0 comments: