October 18 - Psalm 62

Sunday, October 18, 2009

October 18 - Psalm 62:1-12

The literal translation of Psalm 62:1 (My soul finds rest in God alone) is "Only to God is my soul silence."

Wow, that's beautiful. David waits in silence before God. He is confident in this waiting. God is His rock and salvation, a fortress and David simply cannot be shaken because he rests in God!

I think sometimes we allow the world to shake us up because we forget where our confidence lies. We get so wrapped up in our stuff and in our insanity that we forget everything we know to be true. God is unshakable and when we place our feet firmly on His foundation, we can not be shaken or destroyed.

Romans 8:38-39 tells us that nothing can separate us from Him (from the love of Christ), so why do we allow ourselves to separate us from this foundation?

Psalm 62:3-4 tells about the attacks that come to topple David, but the words of Psalm 63:5-8 are so peaceful.

"Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken. My salvation and my honor depend on God; he is my mighty rock, my refuge. Trust in him at all times, O people: pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge."

Don't trust in things of the world, or people that surround you. They are only a breath. Don't trust in things that you think will get you an easy out to your problems, David says. That will never help.

"One thing God has spoken, two things have I heard: that you , O God, are strong, and that you, O Lord, are loving. Surely you will reward each person according to what he has done." (Psalm 62:11-12)

God is strong. God is loving. He is the only foundation that will remain.

0 comments: