October 23 - Psalm 87

Friday, October 23, 2009

October 23 - Psalm 87:1-7

Psalm 87 is a tribute to Jerusalem on Mount Zion. Why is it so special? Because God chose it. In fact, people would be honored just to be born there (Psalm 87:5).

We travel to many different places in this country and for one reason or another find ourselves attracted to them. For me, I love the Boston or Washington, DC area because of its history. I love the New York City area because of its vitality. I loved spending time in the Grand Canyon and Canyonlands of Utah because of the grandeur and beauty. I love San Francisco because it is interesting and there is so much beauty there. I love Iowa because of the people and it is my home.

But, none of these locations resonate with me as Jerusalem does with the Israelites. While God may have chosen Iowa as my home, I am not joined by an entire nation of like-minded people in my love for this state.

Jerusalem is the city of God.

At the end of the Passover festival, Jews all over the world say the words "Next year in Jerusalem" as a means of expressing hope that the Messiah will come and they will be gathered as a nation once more under His reign.

The Psalm ends with the hope that Jerusalem will be filled with fountains of blessings and will be a spiritual home to all the nations of the earth (Psalm 87:4).

We can only pray "Next year in Jerusalem."

0 comments: