October 17 - Psalm 61

Saturday, October 17, 2009

October 17 - Psalm 61:1-8

Lead me to the rock that is higher than I. (Psalm 61:2b)

When I find myself feeling sorry for myself and pitying the poor, pathetic life that I lead, I know that I have entered a pit of despair from which it will require much effort to be rescued. There is generally no way that I will be able to do that by myself.

Sometimes people show up that encourage me and remind me what it looks like on the outside of the pit, sometimes all it requires is a lick on the face from my dog, but other times I am so far gone that no earthly entity will be able to wade through the garbage I've built around myself to get me to recognize the good.

I'm very fortunate, I know that God is my refuge, a strong tower - a place of protection. When things are that bad for me, I retreat until there is nothing left but the two of us. David says that he longs to dwell in God's tent (tabernacle / temple) forever and take refuge in the shelter of His wings. (Psalm 61:4)

That's where I want to ultimately end up, and sometimes when things are bad enough, I'd like to have God hurry the process.

But look how David ends this Psalm. Even though he would prefer to be in heaven with God, he knows that God has given him a task on earth.

"For you have heard my vows, O God; you have given me the heritage of those who fear your name." (Psalm 61:5) David is in charge of the kingdom of Israel. This was a charge given to him by God. And if God gave him the task, David means to fulfill it as well as possible.

"Increase the days of the king's life, his years for many generations. May he be enthroned in God's presence forever; appoint your love and faithfulness to protect him. Then will I ever sing praise to your name and fulfill my vows day after day." (Psalm 61:6-8)

O God, You have given me a lot to do. I don't know what it is that I have yet accomplished, but I know that I will be here as long as You call me to be here. While I am here, let me do your will and protect me as I do. I will sing your praise forever.

0 comments: