Nov. 13 Nature Reveals God

Friday, November 13, 2009

November 13 - Nature Reveals God

I'll be honest, I would never make a great tree-hugger, I've never been interested in living among the animals, I'm not a fan of sleeping under the stars, bugs and creepy crawlies make me a bit crazy. You'd never actually call me a nature lover.

However, when I see a beautiful sunset or experience the majesty of the Grand Canyon, when I hear the birds singing and watch the seasons change, I recognize the hand of God at work.

Many of the mysteries of God are revealed in nature.

"The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands." (Psalm 19:1)

"The heavens proclaim his righteousness, and all the peoples see his glory." (Psalm 97:6)

Do you know what the Fibonacci sequence is? It's a mathematical sequence of numbers that is found throughout nature - named for the man who discovered it.

1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55, 89 ... etc. Add 1+1 to get 2, then add 2+1 to get 3, then move forward in the sequence - 3+2 to get 5, 5+3 to get 8, 8+5 to get 13, etc.

Well, enough of math. The amazing thing about this sequence, though is that by working with it, we achieve something called the Golden Ratio (take the ratio of two successive numbers in the sequence, then divide that by the number previous, and you begin to get the Golden Ratio).

I guess I wasn't done with math.

Anyway! All of that math finagling produces things like a Golden Rectangle, which is said to be the most perfect shape - pleasing to the eye. But, it also produces what is called the Shell Spiral - which is found in the Nautilus shell. The sequence also shows up in petals of flowers, in pinecones, in leaf arrangements on plants. It's found in cauliflower - the hints of this are everywhere in nature.

As man has discovered these things, I believe that man has discovered God. God is not random, He has put Himself in the midst of us to be discovered.

"For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities - his eternal power and divine name - have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse."

God has revealed Himself in nature. Thought many try, it's difficult to deny the existence of a God who creates with such perfection.

0 comments: