Nov. 5 God Veils Himself

Thursday, November 5, 2009

November 5 - God Veils Himself

Why would God hide Himself from us? This is one of those questions that perplexes me. He has spent so much time trying to get us to open our eyes and He has uncovered Himself and revealed Himself to us in amazing ways.

Job 23:8-9 - But if I go to the east, he is not there; if I go to the west, I do not find him. When he is at work in the north, I do not see him; when he turns to the south, I catch no glimpse of him.

Psalm 10:1 - Why, O Lord, do you stand far off? Why do you hide yourself in times of trouble?

Psalm 13:1 - How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever? How long will you hide your face from me?

Psalm 89:46 - How long, O Lord? Will you hide yourself forever?

Isaiah 45:15 - Truly you are a God who hides himself, O God and Savior of Israel.

As I read these verses, it occurs to me that maybe God hasn't hidden Himself as much as the author simply can't find Him!

The Psalmist (many times - David) constantly feels the separation that comes when God isn't walking close beside him. He counts the times when his enemies seem to be gaining the upper hand as times when God is either hiding Himself ... or just far away from David.

Job felt as if he had been abandoned God. But, what we miss if we only read verse 9, is the next verse which says, "But he knows the way I take, when he has tested me, I will come forth as gold."

Job couldn't find God, though he searched the four corners of the earth. He remained confident that God could find him.

Sometimes we can't find God. I'm betting it's because we don't remember where we put Him, not because He's actually hiding from us. The good news is that God always knows where we are and He knows the way we take.

0 comments: