Nov. 12 Prophetic Visions

Thursday, November 12, 2009

November 12 - Prophetic Visions

Isaiah was a strong, strong man. He received visions from God prophesying the disasters that would befall Israel. "A dire vision has been shown to me:" (Isaiah 21:2). Now this same man wrote these words, "I saw the Lord seated on a throne, high and exalted and the train of his robe filled the temple." (Isaiah 6:1)

The Old Testament prophets received these visions and were expected to tell the people so that they could warn them of the impending doom. Prophetic visions were also given to encourage the people.

Ezekiel's vision in Eze. 11 was about the return of the people to Israel from exile. The Lord promised that they would clean the idols out of the land, bring unity among them.

I love Ezekiel 12:26-28. God pays attention to the words we say and the complaints we make. His visions to Ezekiel were for that time and place, but the Israelites simply wouldn't believe it. They complained because they believed that God wouldn't bring the vision to pass until far in the future. God was having none of that. "None of my words will be delayed any longer; whatever I say will be fulfilled." (Eze. 12:28)

This makes me wonder. Do we really believe that God's Word will be fulfilled? Do we really believe that the prophecies regarding Jesus' return will ever happen? If you do actually believe it, does your life reflect your belief? I don't know that mine does. I count on the fact that the end of the world won't happen in my lifetime, that Jesus won't return until long after I have died and gone to heaven. What if I'm wrong? How do I change my life so that it shows I believe He could return tomorrow!?

Amos, Obadiah and Nahum all had visions that dealt with nations around Israel. Obadiah's vision concerned Edom, a kingdom southeast of Judah. Nahum received a vision regarding Nineveh. Amos' vision told of judgment on Israel's neighbors and then judgment on Israel, then called for them to repent and return to God.

In the Revelation given to John, he spent time with the angel as he saw the things God wanted him to write to the people.

Prophecy through visions is powerful.

We talked a lot in my last Comparative Religion course about Muhammad being the final prophet - that with his death, God had completed the information he was sending to the people of earth.

I don't believe that. God transmits His word to His people when they need it most. He allowed Israel to get far enough way that they couldn't return to Him without intervention and He sent the Old Testament prophets. When they pulled away again, it wasn't a matter of them worshiping idols, but they had totally lost contact with the spirit of the Law. He sent His son to change the outcome of every life on earth.

We are told in Revelation 11 that there will be two witnesses who will prophesy for 1260 days, clothed in sackcloth. God will always find ways to communicate with His people when they quit listening to Him. There are people today that receive prophecy. There are people who see visions that are given by God.

I get excited when I see Him move on this earth. What about you? Does it excite or terrify you?

0 comments: