Nov. 15 Christ Reveals God

Sunday, November 15, 2009

November 15 - Christ Reveals God

This is something that many of us take for granted.

The Lord promised to Moses in Deuteronomy 18:18, "I will raise up for them a prophet like you from among their brothers; I will put my words in his mouth, and he will tell them everything I command him."

Then, Jesus said in John 12:49, "For I did not speak of my own accord, but the Father who sent me commanded me what to say and how to say it."

John 14:10, "Don't you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you are not just my own. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work."

John 17:8, "For I gave them the words you gave me and they accepted them. They knew with certainty that I came from you and they believed that you sent me."

Jesus proclaimed over and over that He was revealing God through Himself. What astounding news this had to be to His listeners!

Every once in awhile I try to separate myself from hindsight and look at the Gospel with eyes that had never heard of Jesus and hear His words as if they were new, knowing that the only thing His listeners had was their tradition and our Old Testament.

When Peter was preaching in Acts 3, he quoted the Deuteronomy passage (Acts 3:22-23) as he spoke of Jesus. I love verses 24-25, "Indeed, all the prophets from Samuel on, as many as have spoken, have foretold these days. And you are heirs of the prophets and of the covenant God made with your fathers."

How exciting and confusing it would have been to experience all that those people were living through during the years that Jesus lived on earth and the years just following. Peter tells us that he knew they were in the middle of great history. The prophets had been foretelling those days and those days had finally occurred!

We look back on these passages in scripture and simply accept them because they have been part of our existence since before we were born.

Every period of history is profound, but nothing was more world-changing than the coming of Jesus to earth, revealing God. Jesus was the Word of God - made flesh.

0 comments: