September 7 - Powerful in its Influence

Monday, September 7, 2009

September 7 - Powerful in its Influence

The Word of God is seen with many different attributes in scripture. I know how it has affected me through the years and sometimes I find that it is tender and merciful, other times I read it with great affection, there are times when I find that it calms and restores me and then there are those times when it challenges and disciplines me.

In all of this, I sense that God is at work in my life through His Word.

Jeremiah hears from the Lord "Therefore this is what the Lord God Almighty says: 'Because the people have spoken these words, I will make my words in your mouth a fire and these people the wood it consumes.'" (Jer. 5:14)

It is also a crushing fire. Jeremiah 23:29, "'Is not my word like fire,' declares the Lord, 'and like a hammer that breaks a rock in pieces?'"

The Word of the Lord has the power to bring us to our knees.

Ezekiel's story of the bones coming to life tells of how God's Word gives life! "So I prophesied as I was commanded. And as I was prophesying, there was a noise, a rattling sound, and the bones came together, bone to bone." (Ezekiel 37:7)

Now there's a powerful image to show us exactly what it is that God wants to be able to do for us. He knit us together, but HIs words have the power to bring dry bones to life. This isn't something I'd like to see happening on Halloween, but I'm pretty sure that if God were the One in the middle of this miracle, I'd be blown away.

Paul reminds us in Romans 1:16 that he is ..."not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believe: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile."

The Word of God, the Gospel of Jesus Christ has the power to save lives!

One of my favorite images is that of the Sword of the Spirit - the Word of God in Ephesians 6:17. Paul continues with that imagery in Hebrews 4:12, "For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart."

The Word of God, the scriptures that are sitting on a shelf in your home or out on a coffee table or stuck in a book bag to be opened once you are involved in a Bible study, are filled with the power of God. The Holy Spirit has been promised to us as a counselor, as a teacher. We just have to be ready to learn. God will bless us as we spend time in His Word with power that can be unimaginable. But, God is the One that identifies how that power will be manifested!

0 comments: