September 25 - Keeping the Words of Christ

Friday, September 25, 2009

September 25 - Keeping the Words of Christ

When I was young and just beginning to learn about the Bible and all that it contained, I remember seeing my first red-letter Bible (where the words of Christ are printed in red ink). I didn't get it. Oh, I fully understood that Jesus was the Son of God and the importance of His sacrifice for my sins, but I couldn't understand how His words were deemed so important that they would be highlighted in the Bible. To me, the entire Bible was important. God had given us every bit of that book, including Jesus and His words.

In many ways, I still feel that way, but at the same time, I think I finally get it. When God came to earth in the form of man, the words that were spoken to us came directly from His mouth. My Bible is now a red-letter Bible and I treasure those words. Even though highlighting them always ends up giving me a weird color!

There are actually some promises within scripture for those that keep the words of Christ. I'm just going to share them with you again today. That's all the explanation necessary.

We are promised:

Eternal Life
John 8:51. I tell you the truth, if a man keeps my word, he will never see death.

The Abiding Counselor
John 14:15-16. If you love me, you will obey what I command. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever."

Divine Fellowship
John 14:23. Jesus replied, "If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him."

Divine Disclosure
John 17:6. I have revealed you to those whom you gave me out of the world. They were yours; you gave them to me and they have obeyed your word.

Assurance
1 John 2:3. We know that we have come to know him if we obey his commands.

Access to God.
Revelation 3:8. I know your deeds. See, I have placed before you an open door that no one can shut. I know that you have little strength, yet you have kept my word and have not denied my name.

0 comments: