September 5 - Furnishes a Light in the Darkness

Saturday, September 5, 2009

September 5 - Furnishes a Light in Darkness

Ok, ok, I'm admitting it out loud. I love vampire stories. I love them! I like scary vampires, but I like the contemporary stories even better ... you know the ones where the mysterious vampire meets the innocent human. Oh, I'm totally addicted to these things. I think I've read the Twilight series at least three times and I'm on my third read-through of the Sookie Stackhouse stories (Trueblood on HBO). That doesn't even begin to tell you the huge number of other vampire books I've downloaded to my Kindle.

But, the one thing about vampires is that they can't be in direct sunlight. They avoid light. There is always the question that remains, "Do vampires have souls?" It comes down to a very spiritual question. Can something that lives forever and requires the lifeblood of another individual to live ever make it to heaven?

Well, I don't plan on answering those questions here. It seems a bit ridiculous since I also don't believe that vampires exist.

How could I live without sunlight? When things are dark and grey, dreary and overcast for very long, my heart sags within me. The same thing happens when my emotions are drawn into upheaval. Everything within me seems to fall into darkness.

Could the fix be so simple?

Psalm 19:8 says, "The precepts of the Lord are right, giving joy to the heart. The commands of the Lord are radiant, giving light to the eyes."

Psalm 119:105, "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path."

I don't believe the psalmist is speaking literally here unless we burn the pages that the scriptures are written on to gain a little light in the darkness. My heart walks a path and my body seems to follow most of the time. The words that God has given to me are the light for that path.

Proverbs 6:23, "For these commands are a lamp, this teaching is a light, and the corrections of discipline are the way to life."

Peter tells us in his second letter, "And we have the word of the prophets made more certain, and you will do well to pay attention to it, as to a light shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts." (2 Peter 1:19)

My heart can be a very dark place sometimes. Yes, the fix is as simple as all of that. There is no possible way for me to spend time in the Word of God and remain fixed on the darkness. These words are the light that transforms the darkness.

0 comments: