November 8 – Zayin - Psalm 119:49-56

Thursday, November 8, 2012

November 8 – Zayin - Psalm 119:49-56

Remember thy word to thy servant, in which thou hast made me hope.
This is my comfort in my affliction that thy promise gives me life.
Godless men utterly deride me, but I do not turn away from thy law.
When I think of thy ordinances from of old, I take comfort, O LORD.
Hot indignation seizes me because of the wicked, who forsake thy law.
Thy statutes have been my songs in the house of my pilgrimage.
I remember thy name in the night, O LORD, and keep thy law.
This blessing has fallen to me, that I have kept thy precepts.

Well, if those other guys aren't going to follow you, O Lord, I will; even when they are doing everything possible to hurt me.  And, Lord, I trust that my commitment to you will save me in the long run.

There have been many nights that I have crawled into bed and told the Lord that I knew the only person I could rely on was Him, the only thing I could have faith in was Him.  People who I should have been able to trust were not trustworthy and those whom I didn't even know, were saying things about me which were so untrue, I was stunned into disbelief.  My only comfort was in knowing that the Lord was with me while I slept and while I was awake.

It is in the Lord that we find the fullness of hope.  He brings comfort when the world offers none, He gave us life in the beginning and will give us life throughout eternity.

The Psalmist reminds us that in God’s word we find the absolute truth of hope and life.  While this Psalm speaks of God’s law, as Christians we are offered the entirety of scripture.  We see the larger picture, history as well as a glimpse at the future.  Through it all, the Lord remains the same.

And … through the ups and downs of our own lives, the Lord remains the same.  He is the same today as He was the day we were born.  He will be the same Lord on the day we die.  He is the same Lord. He never changes, His love for us never falters.  In that abiding strength we can rest.  We will find hope and comfort there and in that strength we find life.


0 comments: