November 6 – He - Psalm 119:33-40

Tuesday, November 6, 2012


November 6 – He - Psalm 119:33-40

Teach me, O LORD, the way of thy statutes; and I will keep it to the end.
Give me understanding, that I may keep thy law and observe it with my whole heart.
Lead me in the path of thy commandments, for I delight in it.
Incline my heart to thy testimonies, and not to gain!
Turn my eyes from looking at vanities; and give me life in thy ways.
Confirm to thy servant thy promise, which is for those who fear thee.
Turn away the reproach which I dread; for thy ordinances are good.
Behold, I long for thy precepts; in thy righteousness give me life!

The word ‘statutes’ is another of the eight words the Psalmist uses to describe the Law.  It comes from the Hebrew word ‘khoke,’ which has in its root meaning, to cut or carve.  The original Ten Commandments were delivered as carvings in stone and all of the law is to be carved upon our hearts.

How many of you can say that you understand God’s word?  I would like to think that it isn't that difficult, but my goodness we have an awful lot of commentaries, sermons and interpretation out there which would prove me wrong.  Maybe the Psalmist would agree more with them than with me since he was asking the Lord for guidance and understanding.

As I read these words this morning, I see a heart yearning to be more than it is, to be closer to divine than human, to let go of the things useless things which occupy so much time and effort.

Isn't that what we really want when we look at the depths of our heart and soul?  We want to do the right things and set aside those things which make us shallow and petty.  We want to love beauty and we desperately want to find that beauty in everything we encounter; whether it is a homeless man on the street or a sunset in the sky.  We want to be the person who lives according to the goodness that comes from God’s word.

But, sometimes that struggle is so great we just give up.  Cynicism takes hold in our hearts and we lose sight of beauty and only see ugliness around us.  We expect to be hurt by people and focus on every little thing that annoys or wounds us.

The words of this strophe are a balm for hearts that have been battered and are looking for a way back to wholeness.  Everyone longs for truth and righteousness. When we ask the Lord to guide us and lead us, teach us and help us, we are asking for those deep desires in our hearts to be fulfilled and He promises that He will do so.

0 comments: