November 12 – Kaf - Psalm 119:81-88

Monday, November 12, 2012


November 12 – Kaf - Psalm 119:81-88

My soul languishes for thy salvation; I hope in thy word.
My eyes fail with watching for thy promise; I ask, “When wilt thou comfort me?”
For I have become like a wineskin in the smoke, yet I have not forgotten thy statutes.
How long must thy servant endure? When wilt thou judge those who persecute me?
Godless men have dug pitfalls for me, men who do not conform to thy law.
All thy commandments are sure; they persecute me with falsehood; help me!
They have almost made an end of me on earth; but I have not forsaken thy precepts.
In thy steadfast love spare my life, that I may keep the testimonies of thy mouth.

Have you ever felt as if you were all alone and no matter how much time you spent praying or reading Scripture, God was just not following through?

I suppose we might consider the Psalmist to be a little overly dramatic in these words.  His soul languishes, his eyes fail, he cries out ‘when,’ he feels like a wineskin which hangs above the fire, blackened by smoke and shriveled so it is no longer useful, he cries out ‘how long’!

Though I haven’t used those descriptive phrases, I have called out, sometimes in an overly dramatic way: when will you take care of me, how long must I wait?

I believe that since God knows my innermost thoughts, I can use all the drama I please when he and I are in a quiet place together, so high drama sometimes permeates our conversations.

The Psalmist feels confident that he has not strayed from God.  He hopes, he waits, he remembers and yet, his enemies are still in power and he has to put up with their lies and poor behavior.

It’s the final line of this strophe, though, that sets the Psalmist apart from me.  I want God to help me because I can’t bear the stress any longer.  I want Him to rescue me from those who attack me because I’m tired of being abused. I want God to stand beside me so that I can live my life without struggle.

The Psalmist wants the Lord to give him life so he might keep the Law that has come from God.

0 comments: