November 13 – Mem - Psalm 119:97-104

Tuesday, November 13, 2012


November 13 – Mem - Psalm 119:97-104

Oh, how I love thy law! It is my meditation all the day.
Thy commandment makes me wiser than my enemies, for it is ever with me.
I have more understanding than all my teachers, for thy testimonies are my meditation.
I understand more than the aged, for I keep thy precepts.
I hold back my feet from every evil way, in order to keep thy word.
I do not turn aside from thy ordinances, for thou hast taught me.
How sweet are thy words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!
Through thy precepts I get understanding; therefore I hate every false way.

There is peace.

After the pleading of the last strophes, the Psalmist takes a moment to reflect on the blessings that come to him from the Law.

He gains wisdom because of the time he spends with it. I envy those people who are able to quote a reassuring scripture passage when it is needed.  My father was like that.  There was so much scripture anchored within him, that he was able to call it up at a moment’s notice.

The Psalmist has understanding.  I think of the things I have learned about people through reading scripture.  In the pages of scripture I see broken, rejected people who come back from their pain to lead lives that not only honor the Lord, but bring great glory to His name.  It wasn’t the famous or popular or wealthy who were called to serve the kingdom; it was people like me and you.  I understand people better because of scripture.

The Psalmist tells us that spending time meditating on the Law has helped keep him from awful mistakes. He stays away from evil and hates the false way.  I’d like to think that were true of every person who spends time in Scripture, and sometimes it is not at all.  But, for those whose lives are dedicated to understanding what it is God wants from their lives and who search the scriptures in order to find that understanding; they will find the knowledge of their place in the world.

When that comes. There is peace.

0 comments: