November 11 – Yod - Psalm 119:73-80

Sunday, November 11, 2012


November 11 – Yod - Psalm 119:73-80

Thy hands have made and fashioned me; give me understanding
      that I may learn thy commandments.
Those who fear thee shall see me and rejoice, because I have hoped in thy word.
I know, O LORD, that thy judgments are right, and that in faithfulness thou hast afflicted me.
Let thy steadfast love be ready to comfort me according to thy promise to thy servant.
Let thy mercy come to me, that I may live; for thy law is my delight.
Let the godless be put to shame, because they have subverted me with guile; 
     as for me, I will meditate on thy precepts.
Let those who fear thee turn to me, that they may know thy testimonies.
May my heart be blameless in thy statutes, that I may not be put to shame!

My mother always told me that I was to be a good example for others. When other parents were worried about the bad influence of others in their kids’ lives, my mother knew that it was important for me to be a good influence, so she encouraged me to be friends with whomever I liked.  She trusted that the solidity of my foundation from her and from Dad would be enough to protect me.

Mom had been a good kid whose parents gave her very little foundation.  She didn’t always show her pain on the outside, but on the inside, she had a miserable childhood.  She loved every single kid she came into contact with once she got involved in churches with Dad.  She saw those who didn’t have a lot of love at home and just heaped it on them whenever she could.  She saw those who were brilliant, yet shunned by their peers because they didn’t fit in well socially and found ways to draw them into conversations.  She saw those who were popular, yet had low self-esteem.  Their drive to have friends was based on the fact they didn’t really believe in themselves.  She put them in situations where they could care for someone else.

So when Mom told me that I could be friends with anyone I liked, no holds barred; I relaxed and enjoyed myself.  She knew that everyone has the potential for good and if her kids could be influence for good, that was all that mattered. There was no one I couldn’t take to our house; there was no one whose home I couldn’t go in to.

As a Christian, I want to be that same type of person. My foundation is strong … in what I have learned from my parents and in my relationship with God.  It is His word in which I hope and find my delight.  Because of this, I believe that everyone has amazing potential and I look forward to new friends every day!

0 comments: