May 21 - Psalm 139:7

Monday, May 21, 2012


May 21 - Psalm 139:7

Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? 

Jeremiah 23:24 says "Who can hide in secret places so that I cannot see them? says the LORD. Do I not fill heaven and earth? says the LORD."

Hebrews 4:13 says "Hebrews 4:13 And before him no creature is hidden, but all are naked and laid bare to the eyes of the one to whom we must render an account."

This is one of those things we can count on … there is no place in heaven or on earth that we can escape the notice of God.  For some, this might seem terrifying, but for me, these words provide great comfort.

Fear and anger make us do crazy things. Sometimes running away is the only thing we can do to escape our own terrors. I think of all those who feel alone.  I think of children who are bullied, a parent watching a child go through hell, whether physically or emotionally; addicts who can’t escape their drug of choice; families who are abused, whether verbally, emotionally or physically by an angry, sick, person; there are so many reasons, both real and imagined why we want to run away.

When I was young, I had a close friend who had seen so much misery in her short life that all she could do was bolt and run, even though she had a home with loving people.  She trusted no one.  There was no one who felt safe to her.

These words assure us that no matter where we run to, God sees us.  These words are meant to comfort us.  There is no place that is too far away for the one who loves us the most to find us.  With every step we take away from familiar surroundings, he walks with us.  In every dark place we choose to hide, he is beside us.

We can’t hide from him.  He fills heaven and earth.

0 comments: