May 19 - Psalm 139:5

Saturday, May 19, 2012


May 19 - Psalm 139:5

You hem me in behind and before, and you lay your hand upon me.

I love to cocoon myself in blankets.  I sleep on my side, so I will lean forwards and tuck the blankets in behind me and then pull the blankets in so they tuck in around my front.  Before I know it, I am warm and snuggled into my cocoon, with not much showing except my nose on those cold, winter nights.  If there is a warm animal tucked in close under the blankets with me, all the better and if I need several extra blankets on top, that’s fine, too!  When I am all tucked in like that, the cold night air has difficulty reaching me.

The Psalmist revels in the protection offered by the Lord.  Imagine those amazing, creative hands, tucking you in cradling you as he wraps his protection around you.  The hand of the Father strokes your hair gently, offering comfort and peace … soothing you.

Now, imagine the Father taking all of your yesterdays and all of your tomorrows and covering those with his hands.  He hems you in behind … all that has happened until this moment and he hems you in before … all that will happen from this moment forward.  Those are also protected and covered by him.

You are safe with the Lord who knows everything about you. From the moment of your birth he offers you protection, safety, peace and love.  All you have to do is reach out for it.

0 comments: