October 29 - Psalm 139

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

October 29 - Psalm 139:1-24

This Psalm was written by David when he was made King of Israel. What a glorious testimony to the power of God in his life!

There are three sections to this Psalm and they reflect the nature of God. He is Omniscient (Psalm 139:1-6), He is Omnipresent (Psalm 139:7-12) and He is Omnipotent (Psalm 139:13-24).

I have a few Psalms that are my absolute favorites and this is one of them. The other 30 will have been discussed through this month of October! If I was standing before you teaching this Psalm right now, I would ask you to take it one verse at a time. Read the verse and contemplate what it means in your life today.

As I read about God's omniscience (all-knowing) in these verses (Psalm 139:1-6), I am struck by the fact that there are things God knows about me that I'm not even sure of in myself. And yet, as I learn to trust Him, I know that He's got it well in hand and I have to do nothing more than allow Him to guide me. Psalm 139:3b is so tender. God is familiar with all our ways.

I love watching couples that have been married for a long period of time. They know each other so well and they share thousands of memories. Words will trigger a song that they immediately sing at each other, or they will laugh over an old inside joke together. They are familiar with each other.

Psalm 139:5 is another tender verse to me. God hems us in - behind and before; He lays His hand on us. This is the same hand that Jesus speaks of in John 10:27-30. No one can snatch us out of the Father's hand.

God's omnipresence (everywhere) is repeated over and over throughout the Psalms and the scriptures. Jeremiah 23:24 reminds us that there is nowhere we can hide from God. He fills heaven and earth.

God's omnipotence (unlimited power) is extended to the tiniest details. Our bodies are the most intricate pieces of creation that can be found. The sum of our lives are of the utmost importance to us and to God. Without the Creator's hand in this portion of Creation, we would be nothing, we would cease to exist. His power over us is unmatched.

David ends this Psalm with a plea for God to deal with the wicked and a promise that he, himself with always side with God.

Following this, he opens himself up to the Lord. He lays himself out there - completely vulnerable and asks God to lead him (Psalm 139:23-24).

If you acknowledge that God is omniscient, omnipresent and omnipotent, how can you not allow yourself to be that vulnerable before the One that cups you in His hand?

0 comments: