August 25 - Who Are You?

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

August 25 - Colossians 3:12-17 - Who Are You?

Do you know who you are? Do you know Whose you are? Sometimes I think we forget. I know I do.

This passage in Colossians is meant to remind us what it means to live in Christ. Not to live as a Christian, but to live in Christ.

We are God's chosen people. We are holy and dearly loved.

Read that sentence again. You are chosen by God and you are holy and dearly loved. That just means everything to me! I grew up knowing that the safest place in the world was my home. Even when kids at school belittled me and made fun of me, I knew that at home my parents believed in me and expected great things of me. They loved me because I was their daughter, not because I was a pianist or because I learned to read at an early age, or because I got good grades or stayed out of trouble (I was a good girl, I know ... disgusting). But, they loved me because I was their daughter. That's all there was to it! All of the rest of those things came because I lived a life that grew out of that love.

So, since we are God's chosen people and we have been made holy and we are dearly loved, Paul tells us that we are to live a life that grows out of that love.

Clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Exercise forgiveness and over all of these things, put on love. That love that was given to you so generously should be shared with everyone. (Colossians 3:12-14)

This is what it means to live in Christ.

Can you imagine coming home each evening from work or from school to a home in which Christ physically lived? Can you imagine the peace that would emanate from that dwelling? Take a moment to shut your eyes. Place the image that you have of Jesus Christ within the rooms of your home. Do you sense His peace? (Colossians 3:15)

This is what it means to live in Christ.

Now, as you leave your home and interact with the world, the only way to do so is to fill yourself with Christ ... the Word. As you do all of these things - teaching, singing, living - it all becomes a form of worship. We are to do these things with gratitude to God. We are to do all these things in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. (Colossians 3:16-17)

This is what it means to live in Christ.

0 comments: