August 19 - Show Us the Father

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

August 19 - John 14:1-31 - Show us the Father

The book of John is filled with so many familiar verses and passages, it's difficult to choose just one, but this passage comes at a time when Jesus is speaking to His disciples just prior to His arrest. He has so much more to teach them, but now His time is short. He has just told them that He will soon die and has also just told Peter that he will deny Him.

With all of this pressure on Him, the next words from Jesus are so tender. "Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, trust also in me." (John 14:1)

They've trusted Jesus for 3 years. He has grown close to these twelve men. He knows everything about them; their joys, their failures and He also knows that these twelve men will take His message into the world.

Yesterday I wrote about how Jesus was the way that God communicated with the world ... He was the Word that God spoke. In John 14:5-14, Jesus expands on that theme when Philip asks Him to show them the Father.

Jesus reponds by telling them that by knowing Him (Jesus) they know the Father. He says "Don't you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The Words I say to you are not just my own. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work. Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me." (John 14:10-11a)

And His final word on that is "You may ask me for anything in my name and I will do it." There is power in the name of Jesus. He is the Word made flesh ... He is of the Father.

The last verses of this chapter promise the coming of the Holy Spirit, the Comforter, the Counselor, the Teacher. Jesus promises us that though He will no longer live on earth as a human being, we will not be left alone.

With the coming of the Holy Spirit, Jesus is confident that we will be in good hands, though we must remain on the earth.

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." (John 4:27)

True peace does not come from anything in this world. It comes from knowing Jesus Christ. He alone can bring peace that passes all understanding.

0 comments: