August 11 - The Lord Speaks

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

August 11 - Job 38:1 - 42:6 - The Lord Speaks

Job had finally reached the point where he began to question what was happening to him. Why in the world do the innocent have to tolerate such injustice? Elihu, one of his friends was there to speak beautiful words, but by the time we reach Job 38, God is ready to speak. Not only does He have plenty to say, but He intends for Job to listen, so He comes in a whirlwind! The power of the storm and the power of His words will ensure that Job pays attention and takes these words to heart.

He begins by challenging Job and then tells him to stand there like a man because God is about to question him.

While the poetry is gorgeous and the descriptions of all are amazing, I particularly like the little reminders that God inserts as He is talking to Job, such as Job 38:18b, "Tell me, if you know all this." Or the sarcastic comment in Job 38:21, "Surely you know, for you were already born! You have lived so many years!"

Oh yah ... the Lord is definitely planning to remind Job and his friends that though they think they have all the answers, they actually don't even know which questions to ask!

In Job 40:2, the Lord finally asks a question of Job that expects and answer, "Will the one who contends with the Almighty correct him? Let him who accuses God answer him!"

And Job responds, "I am unworthy - how can I reply to you? I put my hand over my mouth. I spoke once, but I have no answer - twice, but I will no more." (Job 40:4-5)

The Lord is not ready to be finished with Job. He speaks from the whirlwind again, telling Job to brace himself like a man for there are more questions.

The glorious power of the Lord is revealed in these chapters as we see how He is the creator and designer of all of creation. Not only does He make everything that we see, but He knows how they all work together and are intertwined to make this earth the perfect place for mankind to live. From the greatest leviathan to the young of the mountain goat, from the stars in the heavens to the foundation of the earth, the Lord has intimate knowledge and rules over all things.

Job replies finally to the Lord in Job 42:1-6. His reply shows him to be repentant and chagrined. What was he thinking when he questioned the motives of the Lord, the Creator of the Universe?

"Surely I spoke of things I did not understand, things too wonderful for me to know ... My ears had heard of you but now my eyes have seen you. therefore I despise myself and repent in dust and ashes."

The man who had everything and lost it came to find out that he was nothing in the eyes of the Lord unless he gave himself fully to the Lord.

0 comments: