August 2 - I AM

Sunday, August 2, 2009

August 2 - Exodus 3:1-4:16 - I AM

I prepared this passage for a sermon earlier this summer and discovered how much it resonated with me. I think we are all a little like Moses - absolutely scared to death to do what it is that God wants us to do.

It all starts out quite exciting. We have a mountaintop / burning bush experience and believe that God is powerful enough to do anything. For heaven's sake, He appeared within a bush that was on fire, but didn't burn. We feel the power of God when we approach and it is so overwhelming that we realize we are standing on holy ground. Moses knew exactly who it was that he was speaking with on the mountain and he was so afraid that he hid his face from God.

But, then came the moment after God reminded Moses of all the things that God had done for the Israelites and that He wanted to continue caring for them. God said, "So now, go. I am sending you to Pharaoh to bring my people the Israelites out of Egypt." (Exodus 3:10)

Wham. Bang. Moses went from standing before God in awe and reverence to being commanded to leap out of his life into something he was not prepared to do. And the next thing he does is question God and he doesn't stop questioning God until he absolutely infuriates Him.

"Who am I, that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt" (Exodus 3:11)

"Suppose I go to the Israelites ... and they ask me 'What is his name?' Then what shall I tell them?" (Exodus 3:13)

"What if they do not believe me or listen to me and say, 'The Lord did not appear to you'?" (Exodus 4:1)

"O Lord, I have never been eloquent, neither int he past nor since you have spoken to your servant. I am slow of speech and tongue." (Exodus 4:10)

And finally, when the Lord had set all of those aside, Moses tossed out one last panicked plea, "O Lord, please send someone else to do it." (Exodus 4:13)

Each of these pleas from Moses brought incredible responses from God. When Moses asked "Who am I?" God didn't spend time talking about who Moses was. He reminded Moses that He, God, was with Him. What else could Moses possible need? (Exodus 3:11-12)

When Moses asked "Who are you? What is your name?" we are given an incredible gift in that God reveals His name to Moses for the first time. "I AM" or Yahweh. This is a name that spans past, present and future and insists that God is present in everything that is occurring. He is the Alpha and the Omega. He IS!! (Exodus 3:13-14)

God performed miracles with Moses' staff and hand in response to the third question and when Moses worried over his lack of articulate speech, God assured him that He had created the mouth and had the power to do anything with mankind that He desired. He also assured Moses that He would help him speak and teach him what to say. (Exodus 4:11-12)

But, Moses' lack of confidence finally overwhelmed the conversation. God wouldn't call anyone else, but was willing to allow Aaron to travel with Moses as his spokesperson. (Exodus 4:14-16)

Now, why is this like me? Well, my confidence fails me most of the time. I constantly question how I am going to do things that God has called me to do and I worry all the time that I will be a huge failure.

It seems as if I will never learn that it is never about my skills or talent or sense of self. It is always about "I AM" being present in my life.

1 comments:

Jeff & Renee Spilinek said...

God did not say "I WAS" or "I WILL BE".... he said "I AM"....