August 24 - Armor of God

Monday, August 24, 2009

August 24 - Ephesians 6:10-20 - Armor of God

When Paul wrote this letter to the Ephesians, he was in prison. Not only in prison, but chained. (Ephesians 6:20). These words of inspiration were meant for all of us and they came from a man who knew what he was talking about.

I think we often misunderstand where our true power lies. I grew up with a man whose strength was incredible. Dad could do anything. I think that was one of the reasons that he was able to function with Parkinson's for so long. He did everything possible to retain that strength as his body began to decay. But, even with all of that physical strength, there were things that overwhelmed him. It was difficult for Dad to ask for help. Fortunately, he trained his family to be there to help him and he just told us what to do! I learned early on that physical strength gave a person independence.

Paul tells us that the things of this world, though aren't the only things that attack us and physical strength is not going to protect us from those attacks.

Just about the time I figure it out, I discover that I'm actually facing down the wrong enemy. If all I do is prepare myself for an attack from something that I can see or touch, hear, smell or understand with my senses, I am missing the bigger picture. Life is transient, it's short. We have so much more life ahead of us after we leave this earth.

The images that Paul brings to us of the armor are not necessarily new. If you look at Isaiah 59:17, you find that Isaiah gave us the beginning of this picture. So, what will we do when the day of evil comes? Will we fight the battle with the tools we know from the physical world? Will we rely on our own strength? As much as my dad relied on his physical strength to get him through his life, he would never move forward in the spiritual realm with anything less than the full armor of God and I don't intend to either.

The belt of truth, the breastplate of righteousness, the gospel of peace will be on my feet, the shield of faith, the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit which is the Word of God. All of this combines with prayer - praying in the Spirit.

These are the things that God has given to us: truth, righteousness, peace, faith, salvation, the Word of God and direct access to the Lord through prayer. I can't imagine living my life without them.

0 comments: