July 27 - Discipline

Monday, July 27, 2009

July 27 - Hebrews 12:1-13 - Discipline

The Hebrews that are receiving this missive are obviously under some sort of persecution, and though it is difficult they are being urged to continue on in their faith. The litany of Old Testament heroes in the previous chapter was given to encourage them. Those men and women were great witnesses to the power of God in their lives.

Now we have Jesus, who has perfected our faith, seated at the right hand of God. He is the light that shines when we struggle through the race set before us.

But, what of discipline? What son is not disciplined by his father. If you aren't disciplined, then the author implies that you are not a true son. Discipline garners respect, given by fathers who do what they think is best.

God is much different, though in His discipline. Hebrews 11:10 says that God disciplines us for our good - not so that we grow into good little Christians, but so that we may share in his holiness. This discipline will produce ea harvest of righteousness and peace.

Whenever I was in trouble with Dad, he would lecture me on the importance of discipline, that I would appreciate it some day because he was helping me become a better person. I truly hated the sound of that word, because I knew that it was something I was going to find painful in the short term. But, in the long run, the training I received benefitted me in many ways.

God assures us that allowing Him to discipline us, though it may be painful or unpleasant will bring about righteousness and peace. I can't imagine anything better.

0 comments: