August 9 - Wisdom Brings Knowledge

Thursday, August 9, 2012


August 9 - Wisdom Brings Knowledge
Proverbs 2:5

“If you look for it (wisdom) as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure, then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God.  For the Lord gives wisdom, and from his mouth come knowledge and understanding.” (Proverbs 2:4-6)

It’s said there are things that can’t be taught and can only be learned.

Some days I think that is my life’s motto. I tend to learn the hard way.  The thing is, some of my most difficult lessons have come when I push forward without stopping to ask the Lord what it is that He wants me to do next.

Actually, I retract that statement.  The most difficult lessons come when I have asked the Lord what it is that He wants me to do next, I’ve heard from Him and I’ve gone my own way because His way just doesn’t make any sense at the time.

That’s one of the pitfalls of free will.  The Lord will give us wisdom, knowledge and understanding. He gives these things freely to us.  The next step, though, is that we must learn to live in obedience.  The moment we step off (dare I say it?) the yellow brick road and on to our own path, we may be able to bully ahead for a while, but pretty soon we find that there is no longer a path, but a swamp.

It’s hard to believe that the Lord knows better than we do what should happen in our lives. It’s hard to accept that what we believe to be common sense about the next step to take or the next thing to do might not be what He wants for us.  It’s hard to trust that what we absolutely know to be the right path to take might not be the path the Lord wants for us.

Wisdom, knowledge and understanding. These things come from the Lord and are ours if we just trust that He sees the great big picture of eternity and probably knows better than we do what is good and right.

0 comments: