August 18 - My Heart is Steadfast

Saturday, August 18, 2012


August 18 - My Heart is Steadfast
Psalm 57:7

My heart is steadfast, O God, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.”

Just to register emotion
Jealousy -- Devotion --
And really feel the part,
I could stay young and chipper,
And I'd lock it with a zipper,
If I only had a heart...!

Even the Tin Man recognized that devotion was part of having a heart.

This Psalm, by David, was written when he was hiding from Saul in a cave.   The early verses proclaim his absolute trust in God’s providence: “Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me, for in you my soul takes refuge; in the shadow of your wings I will take refuge, until the destroying storms pass by” (Psalm 57:1)

When you’re being pursued by something terribly frightening, whether it is physical, emotional or mental; knowing that you can find refuge in God is a powerful thing.

Verse two continues, “I cry to God Most High, to God who fulfills his purpose for me.  He will send from heaven and save me, he will put to shame those who trample on me. God will send forth his steadfast love and his faithfulness” (Psalm 57:2-3)

Throughout this Psalm, David brings to mind all of the wondrous things that God does for him as he prepares for the world to destroy him.  He knows that his heart must remain steadfast and so it does.

David’s was a heart that yearned for God.  When he saw God at work, there was nothing more he could do except sing and give thanks.

0 comments: