August 28 - Eternal Home in Heaven

Tuesday, August 28, 2012


August 28 - Eternal Home in Heaven
2 Corinthians 5:1

Now we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, an eternal house in heaven, not built by human hands.

When I was very young, high winds blew a tree down on the roof of our home.  I don’t remember much about it except the mad dash to the basement and seeing the mess the next morning.  Of course, since we lived in the parsonage in a small town, everyone was there to observe the damage, it was quite the carnival.  When I was much older, I remember going against one main rule about tornadoes. I was living on my own, in an apartment in a town about six hours away from Mom and Dad.  I knew a tornado was coming through and was terrified.  I called Mom, and since the phone had a long cord, walked with it into the bathroom and sat down in the tub.  I told her that if I was going to be whipped away like Dorothy, I just wanted someone to know.  She wasn’t really too happy with me, but she talked to me until the storm passed.

Dorothy faced one of our greatest fears, the destruction of her home.  I suspect that you have long since identified those things you would make sure got out of the door with you if you had to face that.  We’ve seen tornadoes, hurricanes, wildfires, floods, tsunamis and typhoons utterly decimate people’s homes and we watch as they stand in abject horror, looking at the loss, unable to face reality.

Everything we know can be destroyed.  Nothing is utterly safe.  We live in a temporary life. The bodies we inhabit will die, nothing lasts forever … except the eternal relationship we build with God.  He is timeless and if we are in a relationship with Him, we find our way into that same infinity.  Imagine having the confidence that one day you will finally be at peace in an eternal home without worrying about it falling down around you.

0 comments: