November 8 - Patience!

Monday, November 8, 2010

I spent this last week pretty much fully engaged in the Greek language.  People keep asking if I can speak to them in Greek yet.  Funny thing about it is that what I have discovered is that I barely know the English language!  I spend more time trying to wrap my brain around all of the different parts of grammar that I have to understand so as to translate Greek into English than I do actually using that language.  Part of this is because I'm in the first semester and they are trying to jam as much information as possible into my poor brain.  As soon as I make it past these grammatical hurdles, I should be leaping and bounding!!!!  (ok, something like that)


I'm learning vocabulary words.  There are all sorts of exciting words, but every time I think that I have something figured out, they show me that there is yet one more way I should be able to use that word.  Sigh.  I'm going to spend today immersed in that study again.  As much as I complain ... I still love it.

Today I think about the patience it is going to take for me to get through these classes.  I can't wait for the day that I have a greater understanding and can move forward through translation by myself.  

October 15,2009 - Psalm 40:1-17

"I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the Lord." (Psalm 40:1-3)

In Psalm 39, we don't see a lot of patience. We see resignation. Sometimes those two things look pretty similar. It's all in how we look at our life. Are you resigned to living through this season of your life or are you patient, knowing that the Lord has things well in hand and that He will walk beside you whether or not you sense His presence?

"Blessed is the man who makes the Lord his trust, who does not look to the proud, to those who turn aside to false gods." (Psalm 40:4)

One of the ways past the self-pity that David easily fell into was to remember the blessings that God gave him in the past, the wonders God has done. He spoke of God's righteousness, faithfulness and salvation to people around him.

As soon as David moves past dark introspection and looks towards God, his attitude brightens and his despair lightens. He recognizes again that the Lord God will protect him.

"For troubles without number surround me; my sins have overtaken me, and I cannot see. They are more than the hairs of my heard, and my heart fails within me." (Psalm 40:12)

David's troubles haven't changed. His perception has.

"But may all who seek you rejoice and be glad in you; may those who love your salvation always say, 'The Lord is exalted!'" (Psalm 40:16)

Yes, we are poor and needy and plead with the Lord to spend time thinking of us. We count on Him being our help and deliverance. Please Lord, do not delay.

0 comments: