November 12 - God is Our Guide

Friday, November 12, 2010

After I registered for my courses yesterday, I went into a full-blown emotional meltdown.  Can I do what I just signed up to do?  Is it going to be so difficult that I finally toss everything into the fire and fail?  What am I even thinking - trying to do this work?  


I do NOT know how people get through their lives without taking comfort in the Lord.  Every day that I question myself, I discover a new way to be loved by God.  If He assures me that all will be well, I move forward in His confidence, not my own.

God is our guide.

October 16, 2009 - Psalm 48:1-14

Psalm 48:1-3 is a hymn of praise to Jerusalem which sits atop Mount Zion. It is beautiful, the joy of the earth. But, the greatest thing? God is there.

I have worshiped in many different types and styles of church buildings. Some are gorgeous, an architect's dream, others are simple. Some were built by the men of the church and finished by the families within that church, others were built amid stress and divisiveness. I have worshiped in the beauty of nature, surrounded by lakes and trees, hills and mountains. I have worshiped in the home of Kentucky mountain folk, and in the homes of very wealthy friends. The location has never mattered. All that is important is that God is there.

Nations joined together to bring battle to Jerusalem, but when they saw the city, they were terrified.

"As we have heard so have we seen in the city of the Lord Almighty, in the city of our God: God makes her secure forever." (Psalm 48:8)

God's presence brings security. You know, the Israelites dealt with battles and wars throughout their history. God always promised that if they would submit to being His people alone, He would protect them and bring victory to them. It was when they struck out on their own, rejecting Him that they began to lose those battles to the point of losing all He had ever given them.

I love this Psalm, but read the last verses with me.

"Walk about Zion, go around her, count her towers, consider well her ramparts, view her citadels, that you may tell of them to the next generation. For this God is our God for ever and ever; he will be our guide even to the end." (Psalm 48:12-14)

Look at yourself, count the fingers on your hands and toes, consider well your life, view yourself. You are the temple of God. You are the representation of Him to the next generation. He is your God forever and ever and will be your guide even to the end.

0 comments: