November 13 - Praise the Lord, O My Soul

Saturday, November 13, 2010

In my Christian Formation class, we've are in small groups that actually converse throughout the week.  Each Wednesday we begin a new conversation and it always starts with us responding to the question: How is it with your soul this week?  That's a very Wesleyan question.


It is interesting to think about your soul on a regular basis.  And though I'd like to tell you that everything is always fine with my soul, sometimes when I think about it, I realize that my soul experiences a lot of different types of things.  Contentment, peace, weariness, sorrow.  The Greek word for soul is actually - psyche.  That part of us that makes us who we are.  


How is it with your soul?  In today's post from a year ago - David sings out, "Praise the Lord, O My Soul!"  I want my soul to be continually singing those words ... "Praise the Lord!"


October 25, 2009 - Psalm 103:1-22

Praise the Lord, O my soul.

Let everything within me praise the Lord!

David knew that he had many things for which to praise God
Forgiveness
Healing
Redemption
Love and compassion
Satisfaction of desire
Renewal of life
Righteousness and justice for the oppressed
Graciousness
Slow to anger - abounding in love
He will not always accuse, nor harbor anger forever
He treats us better than we deserve
His love is great
He has removed our sins from us

As I read through those things and through that portion of the Psalm (Psalm 103:3-12), I am reminded of the Love Chapter in I Corinthians 13.

God is all of those things and He calls us to be the same for the people around us. How can we be anything less. Yet, day to day we are judgmental, gossipy, cruel, angry, we show lack of forgiveness, we are self-centered and arrogant, we find it easier to yell and throw a tantrum if we don't get our way, we forget the incredible grace that has been shown to us and refuse to show that same grace to anyone else. Our anger controls us and we expect others to treat us better than we treat them.

But, the Lord is all of those things. He is perfection. He expects us to constantly strive to achieve these qualities, but to Him we give praise.

To Him who has established his throne in heaven and his kingdom rules over all.

Praise the Lord, O my soul.

0 comments: