September 9 - Repost #9

Thursday, September 9, 2010

My heart can take a lot of battering, I can handle great amounts of doubt and I can face down ugly attacks from the outside.  Sometimes I break apart for short periods of time, but never for very long.  One of the greatest things that I have is that I know that Who resides in my heart and is ultimately in charge of everything about me is greater than anything I face.  I will be completely honest and tell you that there are days I forget this, but those are simply short periods of time and I always come back to the One who is my foundation.  Where I find Him is in His Scriptures ... so these are the words I make part of my life.

September 21, 2009 - In the Heart

Psalm 37:31, "The law of his God is in his heart; his feet do not slip."

A few weeks ago, we had some guys come out to the cabin to check out our septic system. I don't know that anyone had done anything to it since it had been installed in 1979. It's not used all that often, but problems had crept up and it was time. Well, after a lot of searching for the tanks and a backhoe to uncover them, they were opened. The smell was horrific!

For some reason, the guys wanted me to see inside the tanks. I still have no idea why, but they were at the bottom of a small hill, down from the entry lane to the cabin. It was a little wet, rain was coming down off and on and all I had on my feet were a pair of flip flops. The walk down the hill was tentative to say the least and all of a sudden one of the guys realized what he had asked me to do, because he finally put his hand out just in case I decided to slip down that hill. If I had, there would have been nothing to stop me from plunking right down into the filth of the tank.

I'm here to tell you that I kept a firm grip on the ground as I made my way down that incline. I did not want to slip.

Just like the hand that reached out to me to give me assurance as I made my way down a treacherous hill, is the Word of God.

"I desire to do your will, O my God; your law is within my heart."
Psalm 40:8

"This is the covenant I will make with the house of Israel after that time," declares the Lord. "I will put my law in their minds and write it on their hearts. I will be their God and they will be my people." Jeremiah 31:33

"For in my inner being, I delight in God's law ..."
Romans 7:22

"You know that you are a letter from Christ, the result of our ministry, written not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts." 2 Corinthians 3:3

This is a gift we have been given. His law has been placed on our hearts. The Word of God is already there. In Psalm 42:7, the Psalmist says "Deep calls to deep in the roar of your waterfalls."

I find that as I spend time reading the Word of God, it fills my heart. I believe that it is calling out to that which God placed within me before I was created.

0 comments: