September 18 - Matthew - Recurrence and Contrast

Saturday, September 18, 2010

After I finally figured out what the format for this crazy survey was, I also finally figured out that I would be able to do it.  Let me tell you, there was a lot of panic surrounding this.  I've never really been worried about learning or absorbing information, but I do worry about comprehending the mechanics of what a professor is looking for. Until I can get that settled, I stress.

I submitted my paper this evening and can only hope that I did it correctly.  If not, I'll let you know!

Inductive Bible study seems so overwhelming until you look past the technical aspect into the beauty of it. This week we focused on the structural relationships found in Matthew.  Oh my goodness, this is glorious!

One of the types of structural relationships is 'recurrence.'  What in the book is repetitious?

Well, in Matthew there are some really awesome things happening.

For instance - in Chapter 5, we find that Jesus is clarifying the Law.  If you read through that chapter, you will find that He repeats the words "You have heard it said ... But I say to you ..." over and over.  That's recurrence!  That's cool!

According to the NRSV translation, he says "Truly I tell you" 31 times and he speaks of the Kingdom of Heaven another 31 times.  It is so wonderful to see these things happening in front of me.

Another type of structural relationship is Contrast - Again, the information in Chapter 5 is contrasting (You have heard it said ... But I say to you). If you read Chapter 6, you will find that He uses contrast over and over.  Look at it.  It is so cool.  He talks about hypocrites and what they do - and how you shouldn't.  Don't store up treasures on earth - do so in heaven (6:19-21), so many different things.

Then there is Comparison.  Part of his teaching on the Kingdom of Heaven is when He compares it to something - like a Sower (13:24), a Mustard seed (13:31), leavening (13:33), treasure in a field (13:44), a fine pearl (13:45), a net in the sea (13:47), a king with his slaves (18:23), a landowner and laborers (20:1), a king and the wedding banquet (22:2), bridesmaids meeting the bridegroom (25:1).

If you have time today, read through Matthew 5 and 6.  Look for the points of repetition ... look for the contrast. 

This is a glorious way to study!

0 comments: