September 2 - Repost #2

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Because of this blog I've managed to find myself in Scripture every single day.  For that I am immensely grateful.  When everything falls apart around me, knowing that God's Word waits for me to read and learn reminds me that I am not alone and reminds me that things really aren't all about me.  Today's post was written a year ago as I thought about how the Bible feeds us.

September 2, 2009 - Food for the Soul

I love words. I love to read, I love to write. A friend asked if I actually saw words in my mind. I do. All the time. Mom used to laugh at me. If there were words anywhere, I would stop to read them. I'd get lost in the cereal box at breakfast and would read every single word on the box until she could catch my attention and draw me away. If there is something nearby for me to read, I will read it. I end up being a terrible snoop, but I really don't mean to, my eyes are simply drawn to words on the page. I read at an incredible rate because I can gather in a huge number of words, make sense of what the author is trying to say and move on quickly. I learned how to skim and still retain information years ago. I love words.

To be honest, if I were given a choice between eating and reading, I would choose reading every time. Now, obviously, I've never had to make that choice, but it's not one that would take more than a moment to make. A Snickers or a good book? I'll take the book, thank you very much.

Deuteronomy 8:3 says, "He humbled you, causing you to hunger and then feeding you with manna, which neither you nor your fathers had known, to teach you that man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of the Lord." (also found in Matthew 4:4)

In Job 23:12, we read, "I have not departed from the commands of his lips; I have treasured the words of his mouth more than my daily bread."

This all seems very clear to me. The words that God gives to us are more important than the food which gives us life. The Lord gave manna to the Israelites as they wandered in the desert so that they would be nourished and would live. But as important as that nourishment was, the words that came from His mouth was even more important!

There were times in my life when I was too busy (insert whatever excuse you'd like) to read the Bible on a regular basis. Every time I came back to it, I felt like I was snuggling into my favorite comfortable clothing, surrounded by a bed filled with soft pillows. It was the most comfortable place I could imagine. The Word of God is my comfort, my fulfillment, my nourishment. If you took every other book away from me, I would still be content to read and re-read this Book.

"How sweet are your promises to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!"
(Psalm 119:103)

Jeremiah 15:16 - "When your words came, I ate them; they were my joy and my heart's delight, for I bear your name, O Lord God Almighty."

These words, this Word of God is my joy and my heart's delight.

0 comments: