September 16 - Matthew Survey (Chs 15-20)

Thursday, September 16, 2010

I got the draft of the survey done today ... on time.  Once I finally figured out what this was supposed to look like, things began to make more sense.  Would you believe me if I said that I didn't know how I planned to get through the Gospel of Matthew in 14 weeks, that there is way too much to discover - and uncover in there?

As I worked through this overview, I kept finding myself getting caught up in small details, exciting things that I would find in the text, new ways of drawing out information.  I had to stop myself and go back to the overview that I was to be working on.  What excitement!  You could spend an amazing lifetime being this involved with Scripture.

I want to continue today and tomorrow with the Chapter titles ... by then I'll hopefully know if the overview that I submitted was done correctly and I'll move forward with you.

In Chapter 15, Jesus runs up against the Pharisees.  The tradition of washing hands prior to eating is compared to honoring God with lips and not hearts.  He teaches that to the people then encounters a Canaanite woman who responds correctly when asking to have her daughter healed, tells him that even the dogs get crumbs from their Master's table. Jesus heals many and then feeds Four Thousand people.  Title:  Traditions Uprooted.

Chapter 16 - The Pharisees demand a sign, the disciples are taught about the 'yeast' of the Pharisees and Sadducees, Peter declares that Jesus is the Son of the Living God, Jesus foretells his death and resurrection and then calls His listeners to the cross and self-denial.  Title: Sign of the Times

Chapter 17 opens with The Transfiguration, Jesus cures a boy with a demon, talks again about his death and resurrection, then has to pay a temple tax.  Title:  Transfiguration and Taxes.

Chapter 18.  A child is the symbol of true greatness in heaven, Jesus warns of tempting others to sin, teaches the parable of the lost sheep, how to deal with a fellow Christian who sins, speaks of forgiving seventy times seven and finishes with the parable of the unforgiving servant.  Title:  Be a Servant.

Chapter 19. Jesus teaches about divorce, blesses the children, and disappoints a rich young man.  Title: Come As a Child.

Chapter 20.  Jesus teaches about the laborers in the vineyard, speaks of his death and resurrection a third time, handles the mother of James and John and heals two blind men.  Title:  Vineyard Laborers.

Tomorrow I will finish the Chapter outlines!  By the way, if you see something I'm missing and want to help me with creative titles, I'd love it!  I really wish I was wittier or more insightful sometimes!

0 comments: