September 6 - Respost #6

Monday, September 6, 2010

I've become so much more cynical as I grow older and I trust very little.  It's not necessarily the way I want to be, but my history shows me the dangers of trusting others.  As humans we are bound to fail, no matter how much we desire to be steadfast and trustworthy.  The one thing that has never failed me is God's Word.  He never changes, nor does the truth found in the words of our scriptures.


September 15, 2009 - Absolutely Trustworthy

When I was growing up, I knew that my father could handle anything. I was completely safe in a boat with him whether we were on a wind-tossed lake, in a canoe flying down a whitewater river, in a van sliding on an icy road, in a house being battered by terrible storms. I trusted him with everything I had because he never failed me as a child.

1 Kings 8:56, "Praise be to the Lord, who has given rest to his people Israel just as he promised. Not one word has failed of all the good promises he gave through his servant Moses."

Then there was the day when I did something awful. I have no memory of the circumstances, but I definitely remember the shock of mom's words to me when she told me that she no longer trusted me, that I was going to have to work long and hard to earn that trust back. I was devastated by those words. And as much as I wanted to fight with her, I knew that she was right and I had betrayed her. Having her trust me was of great importance to me.

We don't extend trust easily anymore. It seems as if people around us don't deserve it. We are betrayed constantly because of selfishness and greed. Yet those things don't exist in the relationship we have with God.

Psalm 111:7, "The words of his hands are faithful and just; all his precepts are trustworthy."

Wouldn't it be amazing to have those things said about us? When Carol and I owned the printing business, the one thing that we wanted our customers to know about us was that we were honest, that we would do everything in our power to meet their deadlines and do the work well. That isn't the way that everyone dealt with us, though and in fact, there were many customers that never really believed we would follow through with that behavior, so they treated us suspiciously from the very beginning. What kind of world do we live in? What kind of world do you live in?

Are your words trustworthy? Are they faithful and just?

Ezekiel 12:25, "But the Lord will speak what I will, and it shall be fulfilled without delay. For in your days, you rebellious house, I will fulfill whatever I say, declares the Sovereign Lord."

God's word is to be trusted. This is the one constant that we can believe in. As he calls us to perfection, will our word be the same?

0 comments: