June 2 - Psalm 4:8

Sunday, June 2, 2013

“In peace I will both lie down and sleep; for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety.”

There were years that this verse was the only thing that allowed me to sleep at night.  The stress that I allowed to wash over me was amazing. There were nights I fell asleep at midnight, wake up at three and never fall back to sleep before I had to get up and start the next day.  When Saturdays arrived and I knew there was nothing that could attack me, I would spend the day resting and by Sunday night, I was back at it again.

Those were the most difficult days; when I wasn't sure where it was God wanted me to be and to be honest, there were days I wasn't even sure whether or not he knew who or where I was.

I suspect this is reality for many of us at some point in our lives and as I read this Psalm, I realized that more than four thousand years ago, King David faced the same reality.  He opens this Psalm by pleading with God to hear his prayer.

His reputation is on the line. Important people are lying about him and slandering his name; insinuating that he is worth nothing. They have accused him of something and will not listen when he protests, asserting his innocence.  The world has converged in on David and the only source of peace he can find is God.

He finds his joy in God and because he has learned to trust God rather than the world, David once again is able to find peace.

It is not a lesson easily learned no matter how necessary to our health and peace of mind.

0 comments: