June 19 - Romans 15:33

Friday, June 21, 2013

May the God of peace be with you all. Amen.

It is early morning and I am sitting on my front porch, watching the skies as they turn grey before a storm.  The wind is blowing through the trees and there is something incredibly alive in the movement of the branches as they dance. The leaves flutter and glitter in the morning light and the birds chitter and chirp while flying from tree to tree.

There is a doe and her young fawn who make their home in my lower meadow. Some mornings they travel into my view, but not today. They are at rest.

Through the trees, I see movement on the river as a group begins an early morning canoe trip down its winding path.

For years, when I thought of the one place in my life that I knew enough peace and quiet to slow down and really hear God speak, this was that place. If I shut my eyes in order to imagine a place where I might sit down and actually speak with Jesus, it was here.  The fullness of God’s creation is found right here in a lush meadow brimming with green grass, a river bubbling with life, skies filled with birds and forested hillsides teeming with life.

We all have places like this which at the very least exist in our memories. Where is your place? When you are stuck in an office, surrounded by chaos, can you quiet your mind by shutting your eyes and remembering that place?

A friend of mine once told me that hers was a closet in her bedroom. She had moved her shoes and everything else out of the way so she could curl up in there with nothing more than her prayers. For those few moments, the rest of the world fell away and all she focused on was her relationship with God.

Another friend’s favorite place is her front porch.  It is there that, even in the midst of all the hustle and bustle of the city around her, she finds peace.

Where can you go to find a moment of peace; where is your haven from the storm, the place where you meet God with no interruptions?

May the God of peace find you there today.

0 comments: