February 12 – Why Isn't This Clear?

Tuesday, February 12, 2013


February 12 – Why Isn't This Clear?

Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God and now am here. I have not come on my own; but he sent me. Why is my language not clear to you? Because you are unable to hear what I say.” (John 8:42-43)

I had a conversation with a friend yesterday and it is very similar to conversations I've had with others as well as myself throughout the years.  In essence, why is it that only those who accept Jesus as their Savior are allowed into heaven? Doesn't that make God some kind of religious bigot?  How could a loving God not let everyone into heaven if they are in essence, good.

There are a million and one responses to that question and it really is difficult for a Christian to consider that those who live good and kind lives are less apt to get into heaven because they won’t accept Jesus as their Savior, than it is a repentant murderer.  In our eyes, that just doesn't seem fair.

This verse is one of those that helps me understand what Jesus was saying when he said, “No one comes to the Father, but by me,” (John 14:6).

If we are talking about people getting into heaven, we have some level of faith. If we have some level of faith and acknowledge that we want everyone to be in the presence of God in heaven, we then have to acknowledge God’s sovereignty.  He is the Creator. He is the Lord God. He is in charge of the whole shebang.

Right here in John 8 is the reason why it is through Jesus Christ that people are allowed access to God.  Jesus says, “If God were your Father, you would love me.”

Now, as Christians, we believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.  Why, then, would God want people in heaven who refuse to love His Son?  If He sent His Son to die on the cross in order to make restitution for our sins and we say that we don’t believe in Jesus, why would God want us around?

When I was growing up, my parents were pretty amazing people. The kids in the youth group loved being in our home. It wasn't because I was such a cool person, it was because my parents made them feel welcome.  However, that welcome mat would have been yanked away, were the kids to make fun of me, or attempt to hurt me, laugh at me and say terrible things about me.

No matter how much my parents loved those kids and wanted the very best for them, I was their daughter and if they would not have treated me well, they wouldn't have been welcome in our home.

If you are of a different faith and you wonder why Christians believe this way, it is because we understand the importance of acknowledging and loving Jesus Christ because He is God’s son.

0 comments: