February 10 – It’s Easy to Love Friends

Sunday, February 10, 2013


February 10 – It’s Easy to Love Friends

“If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even ‘sinners’ love those who love them. And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even ‘sinners’ do that” (Luke 6:32-33).

This passage struck me several years ago, when in a staff meeting at church, we talked about bringing friends to church.  For several days I tried to think about people I knew well enough to invite to church and at some point, I had to face it.  All of my friends, not just some of my friends, but all of my friends were already with me at church.

Now, what good was that?

It is easy to be friends with people who believe the same way, who have things in common with us.  It’s just so easy.  What isn't so easy is choosing to step beyond that and finding out that the world is filled with others.  They don’t have the same political beliefs, they might dress differently or have varying ideas on how children should be raised.  They eat different foods.  Sometimes we find great differences in economic status and have a difficult time bridging that gap.

It is easy to love my friends and ignore the rest of the world.  I have a lot of friends and they can fill up my life with no effort.  I don’t have to think about the fact that there are others out there who might need to hear about Jesus from me.

Look around this week.  Who are your friends?  Do you reach beyond the church for your friendships and relationships?  Do you have people in your life whom you find difficult to love?  Do you have people that you communicate with on a regular basis who need to hear about Jesus Christ?

If you don’t, it’s time to make a change.  Reach out beyond yourself to people who aren't going to love you easily, who aren't going to do good things for you.  Make friends who need the love of Jesus Christ, not just your love.

0 comments: