January 8 – He Heals the Brokenhearted

Tuesday, January 8, 2013


January 8 – He Heals the Brokenhearted

Psalm 147:1-20

“Praise the Lord. How good it is to sing praises to our God, how pleasant and fitting to praise him!” (Psalm 147:1)

When the weather is perfect, the sky is blue and the birds are singing; when family is healthy and finances are stable; when all is going well, it is easy to sing praises to God.  But when we face death or loss, stress or anger; singing praise to God isn't quite so easy. In fact, sometimes it seems impossible.

But, the Psalmist goes on and says, “The Lord builds up Jerusalem; he gathers the exiles of Israel. He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.” (Psalm 147:2)

It might seem as if we are alone when we go through those seemingly impossible times of our lives, but the truth is, God is closer than ever. Sometimes I can hardly imagine what the pain would be like if I were truly alone.  The thought terrifies me.  I see the pain of those who choose to live without the comfort of God in their lives.  It is unceasing. They have no one to turn to, no one to trust with their deepest pain.

But, I have come to understand that no matter the pain I am dealing with, the Lord has strength and power that I will never be able to exhaust.

“He determines the number of stars and calls them each by name” (Psalm 147:4)

The Lord I trust knows His creation intimately and He knows me.

“His pleasure is not in the strength of the horse, nor his delight in the legs of a man; the Lord delights in those who fear him, who put their hope in his unfailing love.” (Psalm 147:10)

When I am at my weakest, when I finally give up; I find that is where God can reach me.  He doesn't ask me to be strong when pain surrounds me; He simply asks me to put my hope in His unfailing love.

Praise the Lord.

0 comments: