January 13 – Daniel Receives a Gift

Sunday, January 13, 2013


January 13 – Daniel Receives a Gift

Daniel 2:20-23

“Praise be to the name of God for ever and ever; wisdom and power are his. He changes times and seasons; he sets up kings and deposes them. He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in darkness, and light dwells with him. I thank and praise you, O God of my fathers: You have given me wisdom and power, you have made known to me what we asked of you, you have made known to us the dream of the king.”


Daniel had heard about the king’s dream and realized that he alone would be able to offer an interpretation, not because he was wise or a magician or had the ability to see into dreams, but because God would be able to reveal the mystery that was presenting itself to King Nebuchadnezzar.

One thing I find so incredible in this short worship experience of Daniel is the depth with which he understands God.  When I am about to ask God for something, I focus on the single moment.  When I receive a gift from God, I spend time thanking him for that gift.

Daniel, however, has a much bigger picture of God.  And look at the structure of this song of praise.  It is like the piece is spoken in concentric circles, each getting smaller and smaller until the focus is on exactly what is needed for the moment.

Praise be to the name of God for ever and ever.  There is nothing bigger than eternity … there is nothing bigger than God.

Wisdom and power are his.  The greatest of all things attributable to humanity begin in God.  There is no one wiser and no one stronger.

He changes times and seasons.  God is in control of the earth where humanity lives.

He sets up kings and deposes them.  God is in control of the rulers on earth.

He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in darkness and light dwells with him.  God is the author of wisdom and knowledge for everyone on earth.

I thank and praise you, O God of my fathers: You have given me wisdom and power. God is the author of wisdom, knowledge and power in Daniel’s life.

You have made known to me what we asked of you, you have made known to us the dream of the King.  God has made known to Daniel the dream of another.

From the very general to the very specific, Daniel praises God for his work.

What will you praise God for today?

0 comments: