January 5 - David's Song of Praise

Saturday, January 5, 2013


January 5 - David's Song of Praise

2 Samuel 22:1-51, Psalm 18:1-50

Sometimes I am blown away by the beauty of the words of Scripture. We take it for granted because it has been around for so long and the number of people before us who prepared us to read these words seems limitless. We read beautiful poetry by contemporary artists and are inspired … do we realize the depth of the legacy that goes this far back into history? Even before we get to the Psalms recorded by him, this song of praise by David should tell us what an amazingly poetic voice he had (you can find this song recorded in the Psalms as well – Psalm 18).

I would hope you take the time to read all of the passage each day, even though I might quote a single verse, but today, I you really should read the entirety of this song of David.

The words fill my mind with images. David knew how to tell us who God was to him.

“The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer.” (2 Samuel 22:2a)

“The earth trembled and quaked, and the foundations of the mountains shook; they trembled because he was angry. Smoke rose from his nostrils; consuming fire came from his mouth, burning coals blazed out of it.” (2 Samuel 22:8-9)

“Out of the brightness of his presence bolts of lightning blazed forth. The Lord thundered from heaven; the voice of the Most High resounded.” (2 Samuel 22:13-14)

This is a Lord who is strong and is in charge of everything, including nature.  You know, we think we get nature under control, that we can live anywhere on earth without facing repercussions of the natural world’s movements and changes.  Humanity was given power over the animals of the world, but NEVER over the earth itself (Genesis 1:28-30).  Scripture tells us repeatedly, though, that God is in control of the earth and the heavens.  We can’t change that, no matter how many ways we try to mess up earth’s ecosystem.  At that point, all we are doing is messing things up.

“He reached down from on high and took hold of me; he drew me out of deep waters.” (2 Samuel 22:17)

“He brought me out into a spacious place; he rescued me because he delighted in me.” (2 Samuel 22:20).

Even though the Lord is seen as a fearsome and mighty warrior, David also ensures that He is seen as a gentle and compassionate friend.  Some days I need a mighty warrior who will protect me from those who want to tear me to pieces.  Even if all I do is receive confidence because I know He is at my back, that’s enough.  Other days I need to curl into a ball and shut out the world because the pain has been too great.  That’s when I desperately need His gentle compassion.  There have been nights where I fall asleep believing that the only reason to wake up the next morning is because the Lord loves me and when I wake up and see the sun shining and hear the birds singing, I know that His comfort while I slept renewed and strengthened me.

“The Lord lives! Praise be to my Rock! Exalted be God, the Rock, my Savior!” (2 Samuel 22:47)

“Therefore I will praise you, O Lord, among the nations; I will sing praises to your name.” (2 Samuel 22:50)

Our Lord does live. He continues to be our strength, our rock, our shield and our salvation. It is to Him that we offer praise, both in our hearts and on our lips.

I will praise you, O Lord. I will sing praises to your name!

0 comments: