January 4 - David's Prayer

Friday, January 4, 2013


January 4 - David's Prayer

1 Chronicles 17:16-25

“There is none like you, O LORD, and there is no God besides you, according to all that we have heard with our ears.” (1 Chronicles 17:20)

Before David prayed this prayer, Nathan the prophet had heard from the Lord regarding David’s kingship.  David wanted nothing more than to build a great home for the Lord in Jerusalem.  He said in verse one, “I dwell in a house of cedar, but the ark of the covenant of the Lord is under a tent.”

But, the Lord had some disappointing news for David.  He wasn't going to be able to build the Lord’s house, it would be built by David’s son.  However, even though that might have been disappointing, the rest of the news was wonderful.  The Lord would build a house for David.  David’s name would be well known and the Lord would subdue his enemies.  While David was alive, the people of Israel would have a peaceful home.  Not only that, when David died, his son would continue his kingdom and the Lord would establish David’s throne forever.  The Lord would love him, confirm him in the Lord’s house and in his kingdom forever.

Being unable to build a house for the Lord was a small disappointment compared to the rest of the Lord’s promise to David, whose heart thrilled at those words.  Not in conceit or expectation, but in humility and gratefulness.

“Who am I?” David asked.  “And what is my house, that you have brought me this far?”

Today I stand before God and wonder who I am that He has seen fit to bring me this far.

Sometimes I am angry because things don’t work out my way or because it seems as if I work so hard for something only to see it fall apart or because life just plain doesn't seem fair.  But, why do I believe that I deserve any good thing?  I am not entitled to things because I think I should have them.  I am given life and breath, love and more than anything, I have been given a Redeemer who offers me salvation. The life I’ve lived doesn't entitle me to anything, but God’s grace ensures that I have so much.

Who am I?  Who are you?

There is none like God. There is no God besides Him.  All those things I believe I deserve or have earned are nothing beside God.  God’s love and the fact that He sent His Son to lay down His life for me is more than I deserve.

0 comments: