December 31 - Revelation, Names of Jesus, pt. 1

Thursday, December 31, 2009

December 31 – Revelation. Names of Jesus

We learn quite a bit about Jesus in the first chapter of Revelation. The first thing we will look at are the names that are used to describe Him. Remember I told you about how the Revelation is filled with references. We’ll see a lot of that today.

In Revelation 1:5, Jesus is called the faithful witness, the firstborn from the dead and the ruler of the kings of earth. Following this He is designated by His work. “He loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood, and has made us to be a kingdom and priests to serve his God and Father.” (Revelation 1:5b-6)

Let’s see where these ideas first came about. You see, these were very familiar to the first century Christians. When they heard the words being read aloud in their churches, they recognized the references.

The faithful witness.

John 8:13-14, “The Pharisees challenged him, “Here you are, appearing as your own witness; your testimony is not valid.” Jesus answered, “Even if I testify on my own behalf, my testimony is valid, for I know where I came from and where I am going. But you have no idea where I come from or where I am going.”

John 18:37, Jesus answered, “You are right in saying I am a king. In fact, for this reason I was born, and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listes to me.”

Firstborn from the dead.

Psalm 89:27, I will also appoint him my firstborn, the most exalted of the kings of the earth.

Colossians 1:18, And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy.

Ruler of the Kings of Earth.

What did Satan promise Jesus if he would bow down and worship him? In Matthew 4:8, we read, “Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor. ‘All this I will give you,’ he said, ‘if you will bow down and worship me.’”

In Revelation, we find this passage fulfilled. Satan can entice us with his version of our desires. God’s fulfillment is beyond any imagination.

The next portion of this verse is what Jesus did. His work encompasses the entirety of our life.

Jesus loves us (present)
Jesus freed us from our sin by his blood (past)
Jesus made us to be a kingdom and priests to serve His God and Father (future)

Jesus accomplished everything for us – from our past through the present and into our future.

0 comments: