December 19 - Response, part 1

Saturday, December 19, 2009

December 19 – Response, part 1

The Scriptures offer great confidence that Jesus will return. So, what is our response supposed to be to this?

There are a few things that we are told to do. I don’t know about you, but I like a clear sign guiding me every once in awhile. God doesn’t seem to tell me clearly what to do with my life, but when it comes to what to do in preparation for Christ’s return, He is very clear.

Be ready. “So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him.” (Matthew 24:44)

Be good stewards. “So he called ten of his servants and gave them ten minas. ‘Put this money to work,’ he said, ‘until I come back.’” We all know that we are to be good stewards of the things that God has given us, but I didn’t know until reading this that He intends for us to do this while He is away. It is our way of preparing for His return.

Wait patiently. I could say an awful lot about this – patience is not one of my virtues, but I’m fairly certain that it is something we all struggle with. I believe, though, that God asks us to constantly learn patience, especially as we await His return. “Therefore you do not lack any spiritual gift as you eagerly wait for our Lord Jesus Christ to be revealed.” (1 Corinthians 1:7) At the same time, we are to eagerly wait. Look forward to that day! I would bet that most of us consider the return of Christ to be something that might happen in our lifetime, but more than likely we will never see it. We live our lives that way. What would it look like if we were eagerly expectant?

Be charitable. “Therefore judge nothing before the appointed time; wait till the Lord comes. He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of men’s hearts. At that time each will receive his praise from God.” (1 Corinthians 4:5) It is difficult for us to not judge others. We base our own identity on the failings and successes of others. God begs us to allow Him to do this. When we quit making those judgments, it will allow us to be in relationships that we couldn’t be a part of because of our own judgmental attitudes.

I will finish this post tomorrow. As we walk through today, though, think about these four things: Be ready, be a good steward, wait with eagerness and patience, do not be judgmental.

0 comments: