December 14 - Salvation

Monday, December 14, 2009

December 14 - Salvation

Hebrews 9:38

One of the things that we tend to focus on with regards to the Second Coming of Christ is that it will bring the end of the world as we know it. While this is no doubt true, Paul tells us in this verse from his letter to the Hebrews that Jesus returns bring salvation.

“so Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many people; and he will appear a second time, not to bear sin, but to bring salvation to those who are waiting for him.” (Heb. 9:38)

I have the worst time watching any movie about Jesus’ death, I hate Good Friday. In fact, I hate Holy Week. I know what the story leads to. The day after Good Friday and Resurrection Sunday are amazing for me, but to get to the Resurrection, I have to face the crucifixion. Every year I dread that day because I know that I will deal with His suffering on the cross for my sin.

The thing of it is, though, is that Jesus already did that. He went through the pain of that and ascended into heaven. The next time He comes to earth, He will come as the ruling Messiah, the King that will conquer everything and will cause every knee to bow and every tongue to confess that He is Lord!

He no longer has to bear our sin – He has already done that. When He returns, He brings salvation to those who are waiting for Him.

That’s going to be me! That’s going to be you. All of the preparation, everything that we do to bring us into a relationship with Him simply means that we are waiting. Like the ten virgins who waited for the bridegroom, like the servants who worked while their master was away, we wait for the return of the Messiah.

He brings salvation to each of us. Revelation 21:4 says, “There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”

Those things that fill our lives with pain and stress, even the things that bring us temporary happiness will all be gone. Salvation will be ours. Eternal life in the temple of the living God will be the reward.

Jesus won’t return to be sacrificed … He is alive. He returns to those of us who are waiting for Him!

0 comments: