July 9 - A Promise of Peace

Monday, July 9, 2012


July 9 - A Promise of Peace
2 Samuel 7:8-16, 1 Chronicles 17:1-13

This passage is a beautiful story of God’s message to David through the prophet Nathan.  It is here that we find the promise of a continuation of David’s house and the Messianic prophecy that is fulfilled in Jesus Christ regarding the One who would bring forth the kingdom.  It would be Jesus who would sit on the throne of the eternal kingdom. It would be Jesus who endured the floggings and punishment that God laid out for all of us.

But, why did God tell David that his kingdom would last forever and that He (God) would build a house for David?

Because God had just told David that he wasn’t going to be able to build God a home.  David had just built himself a beautiful palace and it didn’t seem right that God didn’t have something as extravagant in which to reside.  But, God reminded David that He had traveled with His people. He wasn’t contained in one space, He moved around with them, moving from one home to another.

In 1 Chronicles 22:7-8, David tells Solomon another reason for not being able to build the house of God. “David said to Solomon: ‘My son, I had it in my heart to build a house for the Name of the Lord my God. But this word of the Lord came to me: ‘You have shed much blood and have fought many wars. You are not to build a house for my Name, because you have shed much blood on the earth in my sight. But you will have a son who will be a man of peace and rest, and I will give him rest from all his enemies on every side. His name will be Solomon, and I will grant Israel and quiet during his reign. He is the one who will build a house for my Name.  He will be my son, and I will be his father. And I will establish the throne of his kingdom over Israel forever.’’”

The Lord loved David’s heart. The Lord wasn’t punishing David for having been through those battles.  If you remember, the Lord said (through Nathan), “I have been with you wherever you have gone and I have cut off all your enemies from before you. Now I will make your name like the names of the greatest men on earth.” (1 Chronicles 17:8).

If there was going to be a house for His Name, it would be a house built in peace … not in battle.

If there was going to be a house in any of our names … would it be a house built in peace? Oh, I’d hope so.

0 comments: