July 29 – Faith: Hope With Certainty

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

July 29 – Faith: Hope With Certainty

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.  (Hebrews 11:1)

What an amazing statement.  This is really a line in the sand, isn’t it!

We can hope and hope and hope and hope.  But then, we cross the line into faith … and certainty.

When I talk to friends who are facing a crisis, we talk about hope.  But, if I’m talking to a friend who isn’t confident in their Christian walk, I can offer them hope and the certainty of my own faith.  I move past the hope that God will care for them into faith and the solidity of that faith is what I share.

I don’t necessarily expect them to have the same confidence that I have – that’s not even sensible.  But, I can walk with them until they see that faith is hope with certainty and I can pray with and for them until they experience the result of hope and faith.

We all have friends who don’t know if God really exists.  They hope that He does and they hope that He is as merciful and loving as we say He is.

Faith comes when they experience that for themselves.  Until that point … your certainty is a lifeline.

0 comments: